License Music
Become an HFA Licensee
If you need to license music to distribute less than 2,500 units of a physical or digital format, or up to 10,000 interactive streams, you can get a license using Songfile.

If you need to license music to distribute over 2,500 units of CDs, cassettes or LPs, permanent digital downloads or ringtones, or you are an ad-supported or subscription digital music service, you need to set up an HFA Licensee account.

HFA issues mechanical licenses that are valid for products manufactured and distributed in the U.S., and its territories and possessions, ONLY. Under the U.S. Copyright Act, if you are manufacturing product outside of the U.S and distributing in the U.S and its territories and possessions, you will need to obtain an import license.

Licensees with an established HFA account can access our licensing systems, eMechanical® and Bulk Licensing, and licensing reports using HFA Online.

eMechanical® enables licensing of individual tracks for all physical and digital formats except for interactive streams.

Bulk Licensing enables licensing of interactive streaming services and high volume licensing (more than 1,000 tracks per month) of all other digital formats. If you are interested bulk licensing, please contact HFA Licensing at

Online Licensing Reports are customizable and allow licensees to view all their licensing transactions and download this data to their own systems. These reports identify trends or analyze problems using a set of business analytical tools and are available in both Adobe PDF and Microsoft Excel formats.

Set Up an HFA Licensee Account

If you are a U.S-based record label or music service, please download and complete the Application for HFA Licensing Account (Domestic/United States) .

If you are a non-U.S. record label or music service, please download and complete the Application for HFA Licensing Account (Non-US). Once your licensing account is established, you can begin the licensing process.

Royalty Reporting

HFA licensees are required to report sales and/or usage and royalties within 45 days of the end of each calendar quarter.

You can submit your quarterly royalty reporting and mechanical royalty payments electronically. To do so, please download the recommended file layout here. Once the report is completed, email it as an attachment to, and reference the check or wire transfer number in the email. Please make the check payable to Harry Fox Agency, Inc. and mail it to:

Harry Fox Agency, Inc.
Attn: Accounts Receivable Department
40 Wall St., 6th Floor
New York, NY 10005

NOTE: HFA is not authorized by its affiliated publishers to accept Notices of Intention to Obtain a Compulsory License for Making and Distributing Phonorecords (NOIs) pursuant to Section 115 of the Copyright Act on their behalf. All NOIs must be sent directly to the publisher.
Social Media
Press & Video
What We're Listening to